Thursday, September 03, 2009

The case of the mysterious window popping up

At work one day my difference tool stopped working when launched from the source control system. This applies to any large tool that's launching a 3rd party tool.

The source control system did not specify what the command line it was launching. Time for a bit of reverse engineering...

1. Launch the source control tool
2. Run filemon
3. Launch the difference tool

Take a look at what filemon was trying to open. In my case it was a tool called "compare.exe".

Hmm. Why would that fail.

I ran the compare.exe from the command line (cmd.exe) and bingo it came up with the other 3rd party tool (in my case it was ImageMagick's compare.exe). As I don't use ImageMagick too much I just renamed the binary on my system to imcompare.exe and I was in the money again running my difference tool happily.

2 comments:

Datagod said...

Were there two files called "compare.exe"?

Kevin Driedger said...

Yes, both files were called "compare.exe".